About Me

My photo
Hey everybody I'm Houth. This blog is mainly a devotional/poetry blog. I honestly hope that it encourages you in your own personal walk with God. If not, thank you for looking at the blog anyway :) Enjoy my poetry and devotionals. May they bless your heart and feel free to let me know if they do. Have a great day!

Followers

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

For A Teenager

Give me anything but routine
Breakfast in the morning
School throughout the day
Lunch is not mandatory
Extracurriculars in the afternoon
Homework at night
And dinner with the family
Depending on the day it could come before homework
But let's not get too crazy
I mean it takes some effort to keep to this schedule
And yet I need something to survive
So give me acceptance wrapped in nicotine
Give me reputation clothed in sex
Give me relationships held together by social media
Anything but routine
Every day has become a game of hide and seek
A game of follow the leader
And a game of Red Rover
I want to be on the right side
Who likes to be alone all their life?
I'm no Emily what's her name from English class
It's nice to be a person people looked up to
The hard part is trying to hide not only those cigarettes
But who my parents want me to be
What they want me to do
And where they want me to go in life
Go to high school
Get good grades
Go to college
Get good grades
Go to work
Get a good salary
Go to church
Get on your knees and pray
Go through life
Get a good spouse
Go through life
Get a good retirement
And this is supposed to be the schedule of my life until death?
All that I do is 
Go...go...go...
In order to 
Get...get...get
Something that is
Good...good...good
I guess that's why grades stop at "F"
They leave the last letter for the rest of your life after school's done
What if I want something other than good?
I want something:
Fantastic
Extravagant
Daring
Challenging
Beautiful
Amazing
Is this allowed?
Instead of going somewhere in order to simply get,
Can I do something in order to feel?
Can I donate something in order to provide?
Can I stand above something and simply be in awe?
I'm so sick of routine and I feel that as I get older
None of it changes
So I guess for now I need something else
Until I can stop going and getting something good
I guess I'll keep going to drugs, sex and social media
To get my daily fix of acceptance and popularity
Building relationships with numerous people in order to feel good about myself
If there's anything better than routine
May it come closer to where I am
Because I'm sick of hiding.

No comments:

Post a Comment