About Me

My photo
Hey everybody I'm Houth. This blog is mainly a devotional/poetry blog. I honestly hope that it encourages you in your own personal walk with God. If not, thank you for looking at the blog anyway :) Enjoy my poetry and devotionals. May they bless your heart and feel free to let me know if they do. Have a great day!

Followers

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

For People with Potential

There's always going to be someone who will be, compared to you, more:

-Attractive
-Intelligent
-Athletic
-Coordinated
-Talented (musically)
-Organized
-Confident

The list can honestly go on for awhile if you also add "better at" too.
This goes without saying but I've realized that it's still nice to hear the truth once in a while.
I mean, honesty is not that played out is it?
The danger in honesty is when it gets twisted to become insecurity.

True facts:
I love to sing
I believe that I am an attractive guy (this is actually very recent)

I loved being a part of the gospel choir at my college and consider it to be family. But as much as I love singing, I am incredibly insecure of my voice. To be honest, I am a very bad singer and I know it. It makes me uncomfortable when people can hear my voice when I sing. This is part of the reason why I loved choir because no one ever heard me (except for the guys and ladies around me). 

Being a late bloomer I always thought of myself as unattractive. Whether it was because of my height, hair, style or personality, I really thought of myself as ugly. I mean, I have buck teeth. For years, I would not let my teeth show in pictures because of my insecurity. What girls would go for a guy with jacked up teeth? This is how I thought about myself for a very long time. Over the years, friends here and there would affirm with actual words that I am: handsome, good-looking or cute. I started to believe them more and more. Then, as I got older (college years), close friends would say the same thing and slowly but surely I began to believe it myself. I even smile in pictures with my teeth showing!

There's something missing in both examples.
Oh yeah! The God factor!
You see, as insecure as I am about my voice, when I am worshiping my God, none of that matters. It doesn't matter that people will hear me because more importantly, God is being praised and worshiped. Of course, this does not mean that I sing at the top of my lungs every Sunday morning. It means that if the Spirit moves me to do so, I won't be ashamed. It is declaring the message of that song to be true either of God, His church, or what He thinks of me.

As good looking as I believe myself to be, physical attraction won't last forever. What will matter when I'm fifty will be my personality, my compassion for those in difficult circumstances and passion for God and people. Another part of this is that as great it is to have people compliment you, you have to believe for yourself that you are enough. You have to believe that God thinks you are this incredible, good-looking and attractive person. If you allow people to dictate your beliefs about yourself, then you will have an identity crisis every hour of every day! It's better to have people compliment on the things that about you that will always last. Of course, the exception will be your spouse who will always believe you to be beautiful or handsome.

We all have insecurities if we can be honest with ourselves. However, do not let the enemy get to you. It's ok to be a bad singer. It's ok to not be really tall. It's ok to be uncoordinated. It's ok to be bad at instruments. But for every potential for negativity, there should be plenty of good to remember.

1. Remember what you're good at it.
2. Remember that you're good enough even if you aren't the best at something or if someone is better than you at a particular thing.
3. Remember what God thinks of you/who you are.

Final thought to leave you with:

Each one of us have the potential for greatness.

- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr was only 5'7"
- Helen Keller was deaf and blind.
- Almost any famous person in the Bible
- Even Jeremy Lin (I love basketball and it makes me proud to see an Asian American athlete on tv).

Just because you aren't good at something, doesn't mean that you are not the perfect person for the job. 
Nothing is out of your reach and no one is out of your league.
If God created us in His image, then know and believe that you're not a loser.
He made you just the way you are and thinks the world of you.
Just look at the cross.
I'm pretty sure you can somewhat guess how valuable you are in God's eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment