About Me

My photo
Hey everybody I'm Houth. This blog is mainly a devotional/poetry blog. I honestly hope that it encourages you in your own personal walk with God. If not, thank you for looking at the blog anyway :) Enjoy my poetry and devotionals. May they bless your heart and feel free to let me know if they do. Have a great day!

Followers

Friday, September 20, 2013

The Big Question

         You get one shot at this. Well, this is generally not done as much anymore. I mean, how many people get married these days? With all the statistics about divorce it’s a wonder people still tie the knot. But here I am, ready for the next step in my relationship and chapter in my life. For us guys, it’s probably the most stressful time! You’re wondering what to say, how to bring it up and hoping for a good reaction. There’s nothing better than hearing that one syllable, three letter word, “Yes.” You need to do this right the first time or why bother doing it in the first place?

I first met Alex at the local Panera restaurant. Needless to say I was incredibly nervous but who wouldn’t? I mean things start off a little awkward. You’re not really sure what you have to talk about. Do you have anything in common? Will they laugh at my corny jokes? Will they get my pop references? Will the car I drive matter? What if I don’t make enough in my current job? Thank God that we hit things off pretty well. Not really sure how it happened really but we just clicked. Dinner started to become a regular occasion. Our conversations moved past the trivial weather and how our days went. Topics began to dig deep into beliefs, life goals and dreams. We were on the same page and I couldn’t be happier. Things were going great. But that’s when it really hit me. It’s that time. One year has come and gone and I need to make my move. That’s right. It’s time for the big question!

 I’ve been preparing all day and it’s time to execute the plan. I like to keep things really simple and so I asked Alex to meet me at the local Panera that night. As I sat in the booth begging my body not to sweat, I began to do some breathing exercises. Not only did they not work but I felt like I was hyperventilating. 

Get it together David. Alex is walking to you right now. Take it easy. We’ve been planning this all day. It’s time to grow a pair and man up. You got this! Muster up every ounce of confidence in this body and formulate those well rehearsed sentences. Bring out that passion and speak with a rich tone. Let there be no hint of deception, share your feelings with complete transparency and just be yourself.

“Hey how are ya?”

No turning back now.

“Pretty good and you?”
“I’ve been a little anxious lately but I’m sure it’ll pass.”

Great response David. Now go with it.

“Anxious? About what?”
“Well, that’s exactly what I wanted to talk to you about tonight. Last year we met at this Panera. It was a little nerve wracking for me and I’m sure it was awkward for you too. But during this past year we’ve gotten pretty close and comfortable with each other. I’ve been thinking all day how I would bring this up but I figured the best way is to be completely 
blunt and straight to the point.

The ring David.

“David, is this a…”
“There is no one I love more. I’ve been searching for a very long time, hoping to find the one. I’ve hinted at this before in our conversations. I believe that now, more than ever before, I’m ready for this next step.
“David, I don’t know what to say...”
“This may seem like a big surprise but I just need you to say yes, or at least some variation of agreement, when I ask you this next question.
Alex, do I have your permission to marry your daughter?”

And the rest was history…

No comments:

Post a Comment